Makers & Retailers - Dresden Porcelain

Dresden Porcelain

Dresden (The Sächsische Porzellan-Manufaktur Dresden GmbH – Saxon Porcelain Manufactory in Dresden Ltd) is a porcelain factory in Freital near Dresden, Germany. It was founded in 1872 and still keeps alive the long tradition of European porcelain art. Dresden has been one of the leading manufactures of porcelain since it opened engulfing much of the opposition and uniforming its products under the same umbrella. Since 1902 Dresden Porcelain has a blue “SP Dresden” registered trademark. Dresden became known for its expertise in painting and was known to employ at least 40 different painters with multiple paint studios within and surrounding Dresden. The majority of the porcelain wears came from the Meissen factory in plain white and were considered ‘seconds’ after failing quality control within the Meissen production. The initial four Dresden company’s were as follows;

Karl Richard Klemm – founded in 1869. The Klemm Dresden crown was registrered in the RWZR under number 24.

Donath & Co – founded in 1872. The Donath Dresden crown was registered in the RWZR under number 25.

Oswald Lorenz – a commission agent. The Lorenz Dresden crown was registered in the RWZR under number 26.

Adolf Hamman – founded in 1866. The Hamman Dresden crown was registered in the RWZR under number 27