Makers & Retailers - Edward Barnard and Sons

Edward Barnard and Sons

Edward Barnard and Sons (1680-1977) was a firm of British silversmiths. They created the Lily font, a large silver gilt baptismal font used in the christening services of the British Royal family. The company’s origins date back to circa 1680, when the silversmith Anthony Nelme (d. 1722) established a firm in Ave Maria Lane, London. Edward Barnard (d. 1855) was first manager and in 1829 became the proprietor, trading as Edward Barnard & Sons, with his sons Edward Barnard (d. 1868), John Barnard and William Barnard (d. 1851). In 1838, they moved to Angel Street, London. The Lily font was commissioned by Queen Victoria for the christening of her first child Victoria, Princess Royal on 10 February 1840. In 1898, they moved to Fetter Lane and then again in 1920 to Hatton Garden, London. In 1977, they became a subsidiary of Padgett & Braham which then folded in the early 2000’s.