Large Elkington and Co. silver plate charger mounted upon a red velvet frame. The charger heavily decorated in high relief depicts Bellerophon upon Pegasus surrounded by cherubs amongst clouds. To the base of the charger a commemorative personalisation plaque remains unused. To the rear the piece displays the depth of casting involved along with the frame fitment.
Lot Notes: Founded by brothers George Richards Elkington and Henry Elkington, in the 1830s. The business originally operated under the name G. R. Elkington & Co. until 1842, when a third partner, Josiah Mason, joined the firm. It operated as Elkington, Mason, & Co. until 1861, when the partnership with Mason was terminated. The firm then went on to operate independently as Elkington & Co. from 1861 to 1963. It was then taken over by British Silverware, Ltd.. In 1971 British Silverware, Ltd. became a subsidiary of Delta Metal Co. Ltd.
Over the course of history it became very successful and was one of the prime producers of silver plating. Elkington received various royal warrants of appointments, and also an Imperial and Royal Warrant of Appointment from the emperor of Austria. One of their most famous pieces is the electrotype copy of the Jerningham Wine Cooler, at the Victoria & Albert Museum.
Condition: Good, age wear only with rubbing from polishing showing some signs of brass showing underneath. The outside of the piece has been trimmed to allow fitment of the display boarding (please see rear photo).
Measurements: 45.5cm W (inc. surround) 38cm W (without surround) x 3.5cm D