1910 Levi and Salaman silver anointing spoon with enamel decoration complete with original box.
The bowl decorated with a flowing foliage design to the front while the rear remains plain. The stem decorated with a circular design enamelled in green moving into the twisted spiral design handle before reaching the angular tip.
Hallmarked to the side of the handle L & S (Levi and Salaman) Anchor (Birmingham) Lion Passant (Certifying the silver) and L (date code 1910).
Lot Notes: Levi and Salaman was founded in Birmingham in 1870 by Phineas Harris Levi and Joseph Wolff Salaman. The firm was active at Northampton Street until c.1872 until the business grew and transferred to larger premises at Hockley Street. In 1878 the firm bought Potosi Silver, a small manufacturer of silver plate spoons and forks. The production continued to have great success and in 1885 the activity was transferred to new buildings in Newhall Street (Potosi Works). P.H. Levi died in 1910 and the firm was converted into a limited liability company as Levi & Salaman Ltd. The first directors were Joseph Wolff Salaman, Clive Joseph Levi (son of P.H. Levi) and Lewis Henry Salaman and Potosi Silver Co was their subsidiary firm. Both were amalgamated in 1921 with Barker Brothers Ltd. Levi & Salaman and Potosi Silver Co. production line comprised dozens of products including a wide array of souvenir novelties and souvenir spoons.
Condition: Excellent – very minor rubbing due to polishing, visible on the hallmarks.
Measurements: 17.4cm L x 4.2cm W x 1.8cm D
Weight: 31 grams