Large Royal Vienna porcelain charger beautifully decorated with gilt symmetrical boarders throughout. To the outer rim of the plate a black background details the high relief gilt work on top with six diamond shaped decorations between a the lavender base colour. Further in a deeper purple colour boarders the main subject of the plate.The circular scene in the centre named ‘Cupid with the arrow’ painted in excellent detail with cupid and his arrow set, another cherub and a dog resting its head amongst a forrest scene. The rear of the plate signed with the Vienna ‘beehive’ symbol and written in German on the rear ‘Amor Mit Dem Sfiel, Nach P.P Prudhorn.’
Lot Notes: Vienna Porcelain Manufactory was founded in 1717 in Alsergrund in Vienna, Austria and continued until 1864.The firm was Europe’s second-oldest porcelain factory after Meissen porcelain, and for 25 years the two remained the only European producers. Initially it was a private enterprise, founded by Claude du Paquier, an official of the Viennese Imperial court, but in 1744 it was rescued from financial difficulties when bought by the Empress Maria Theresa, and thereafter remained an asset of the emperors.
The wares from the earlier, private period before 1744 are the most sought-after today, if only because production was lower and so the pieces are much more rare. These are often called Du Paquier porcelain from the Du Paquier factory. The other high point and perhaps the factory’s most glamorous period was from 1784 to 1805 when a variety of innovative wares in broadly Neoclassical styles were produced, then with Sèvres porcelain the main influence.
Condition: Very Good-Excellent, minor rubbing to the gilt.
Measurements: 32cm H x 32cm W x 3cm D