Silver & Glass Owl Claret Jug – William Hutton & Sons

Out of stock

Description

Victorian novelty silver and glass claret jug by renowned silversmiths William Hutton & Sons Ltd. The claret jug of fine form with cut glass body and handle stood upon four glass feet. The head of the jug modelled as an owl in sterling silver with glass eyes. Hinged around the neck area to the rear with an elongated peanut shaped thumb piece. Hallmarked to the head of the owl with the William Hutton & Sons London assay office emblem, lion passant and date letter T (1894). Further matching hallmarks to the collar with the addition of the uncrowned leopard, Retailer Henry Lewis 172, New Bond St. W. and registered number probably reading 226959.

Lot Notes: Known for high quality decorative and table pieces William Sutton & Sons Ltd were originally established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800. The firm transferred premises to Sheffield in 1832 where it continued to become a well established silversmith in the industry for both solid and plated silver working from 27 High street or later known as 140-146 West Street. After William Hutton’s death the firm continued to grow and were still active under the guidance of Hutton’s son William Carr Hutton until 1864 when the name was change to William Hutton & Son to incorporate both the founders son and Herbert Hutton Sr. William Carr Hutton’s son in partnership.

A London showroom was opened in 1963 at 13 Thavies Inn Holborn until 1891, and then later 7 Farrington Road until 1918. William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and around 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Sutton and Robert Sutton and the name was changed to William Hutton and Sons. In 1893 they acquired silversmiths Rupert Favell & Co in London and became William Hutton & Sons Ltd in the same year. Continuing their large success they acquired Creswick & Co in 1902 and began to use a crossed arrow hallmark.

The company ceased trading after becoming bankrupt in 1930 due to a lack of foresight by the chairman of the board of directors and was absorbed the same year by James Dixon & Sons one of the major British manufactures of the industrial revolution.

Measurements: 23.5cm High x 16cm Long x 11cm Wide 

Condition: Good-Very Good, very minor chipping to the extremities of the feet and a couple of minor indents to the head of the owl most noticeable around the bottom left of the left facial disc. Hallmarks rubbed.