Austrian late 19th century enamelled porcelain column clock from the Franz Dorfl studio. The clock of oblong form with domed top featuring a brass finial leading to multiple classical figures within oval painted simulated miniatures amongst gilt scrollwork. The clock with further classical figures on each column and facet side at the base of the clock. Stood upon four claw feet the clock appears to hang from the centre of the structure. Signed to the underneath with the Vienna beehive mark and the Franz Dorfl studio mark Vienna, the movement made by renowned German horologist Lenzkirch. The clock has undergone a full overhaul and service to ensure correct operation.
Notes | Vienna porcelain, is a porcelain manufacturer in Alsergrund in Vienna, Austria. It was founded in 1718 and continued production until 1864. The firm was Europe’s second-oldest porcelain factory after Meissen, and for 25 years the two remained the only European producers. Initially Vienna porcelain was founded by Claude du Paquier and owned privately. Paquier was an official of the Viennese Imperial court. In 1744 it was rescued from financial difficulties when it was bought by the Empress Maria Theresa, and thereafter remained an asset of Empress Theresa.
The wares from the earlier, private period before 1744 are the most sought-after today and demand the highest value due to the fact they were produced in lower numbers, they often are referred to as Du Paquier porcelain. The other high point, and, perhaps the factory’s most glamorous period was from 1784 to 1805 when a variety of innovative wares in Neoclassical styles were produced.
Lenzkirch (Aktiengesellschaft für Uhrenfabrikation Lenzkirch – Stock corporation for watch manufacture Lenzkirch) was founded in 1851 by Eduard Hauser in the village of Lenzkirch,Baden, Germany who had trained extensively in France and Switzerland. It is in the tradition of Black Forest clockmakers and often mistaken for Black Forest wears. Hauser was born on 21 August 1825 and gained experience of making music boxes with Johann George Schopperle. During this same period he gained a knowledge of metalworking, precision work and the design of musical instruments, as well as a proficiency in the composing of music.The firm acquired a reputation for building particularly fine regulators and up to the 1920s it still produced regulators with compensated pendulums and precision movements. The firm was later taken over by Junghans and the factory closed down in 1932 due to a decline in the popularity of regulator clocks. They are sought after today by collectors due to their beautifully complex movements, aesthetics and renowned name.
Measurements | 32.5cm High x 15cm Wide x 15cm Deep (12.8 x 5.91 x 5.91 Inches)
Condition | Excellent condition, the enamel is perfect and without damage or restoration. the enamel dial has a very small imperfection to the left hand side which does not appear to be a crack but possibly a small graze.