19th century Vienna pierced mythical porcelain tray. Extensively decorated with a mythological scene of Europa and the Bull with multiple cherubs flying above. The main subject outlined by raised gilt and lavender scroll borders complimented by a pierced and gilded rim. To the underside the base is unglazed base with ‘beehive’ mark and impressed ’85.’
Lot Notes: Vienna Porcelain Manufactory was founded in 1717 in Alsergrund in Vienna, Austria and continued until 1864.
The firm was Europe’s second-oldest porcelain factory after Meissen porcelain, and for 25 years the two remained the only European producers. Initially it was a private enterprise, founded by Claude du Paquier, an official of the Viennese Imperial court, but in 1744 it was rescued from financial difficulties when bought by the Empress Maria Theresa, and thereafter remained an asset of the emperors.
The wares from the earlier, private period before 1744 are the most sought-after today, if only because production was lower and so the pieces are much more rare. These are often called Du Paquier porcelain from the Du Paquier factory. The other high point and perhaps the factory’s most glamorous period was from 1784 to 1805 when a variety of innovative wares in broadly Neoclassical styles were produced, then with Sèvres porcelain the main influence.
Condition: Excellent, very minor blemishes if any at all.
Measurements: 30.5cm H x 37.5cm W x 5.5cm D